Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Sounds like a good place to visit - Galactic Pizza (Minn.)

Being in the pizza business, I can safely say that pretty much what we do from store to store is identical. You call (or order online in an increasing amount of stores) to order, and have it delivered or come pick it up. The toppings are pretty much the same, and processes are the same too. Whether you do business with Domino's, Little Caesar's, Hungry Howie's, or Papa John's you can pretty much expect the same thing from place to place.

Mom & pop stores have an advantage over the cookie cutter stores in that these stores can be as original as they want to be without somebody in another city and state telling them what to do. The more original concept you work with, the better store you become.

I heard about this pizza place reading a recent edition of the Coffee News. Galactic Pizza in Minneapolis incorporates a few unique concepts into it's store operations.
  1. The delivery staff dress up and name themselves after super heroes. I think half of the troble would be what to name yourself. I can see myself becoming "Mystery Man", or something like it.
  2. In season, the delivery staff drive 3-wheel electric vehicles. I can see myself saving several gallons or more of gas in a busy shift or $50-60 bucks a week.
  3. Organic and locally grown food is used whenever possible. In my experience, locally grown vege's are a lot better quality than what corporate wants you to purchase.

I learned a little bit more checking out their website. What I find interesting is a link featuring their "Vision of the future". What follows is part of their vision of the future...

"At Galactic Pizza we have a positive vision of the future on our planet. We see a world that lacks the greed and self centeredness that has led use into the chaotic state that we see today. We see a world full of cooperation, sustainability, and harmony with our surroundings. "

-from their website...

Forget the Mall of America, I think this place would be worth the visit to the Twin Cities. If I ever go, I'll be sure to stop in.

No comments: