Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Good news. I took a shower at home...


...for the first time in over a month.


Face it, Michigan was dry in the month of September. Because the water source at home is a shallow crock well, we find ourselves having to watch water usage everytime we go through a dry spell. Imagine having to choose between such activities as laundry, flushing the toilet, doing the dishes, and taking a simple shower. You can't do all 4 but you can do some. This is how it's been for a lot of September and well into October.


I need to take a shower once a day, because I have a job that has regular contact with the public. You can't make a good impression with the public looking all dirty and smelly. There is a way to get clean. The best kept secret in town is the Midland Community Center. They let people come in to take showers at no charge. It was a great experience for several reasons...


  1. Close to work. I can get there from the community center in a couple of minutes.

  2. Warm water (75% of the time). When it got cold, it usually warmed up within a matter of minutes.

  3. Many stalls to choose from. In the area I used, I had my choice of 10 shower stalls to choose from. I used one to take the shower and another to store my washcloth, and towel along with stuff to wash up with.

  4. No privacy. I guess I'm kinda strange acknowledging the fact that I'm perfectly comfortable naked around people I probably will never see again anyway. Face it. You're in a locker room.

Anyway, water levels in the last week or two have been rebuilt and is replenishing itself fast enough now that I think I can do this now at home. I'll probably need to keep an eye on water levels for a spell anyway, since it is projected that Michigan will experience a warmer than average winter.


Eventually, all these problems will eventually ease. City water is in the works for the township I live in. Until then, I'll just keep an eye on what's happening in the weather.

No comments: